Vanden High School Students Find Creative Ways to Spend Quarantine

Makenzie Jacobs, Features Reporter '24

Vanden High School student and small business owner named Diteo Gamboa and others have contributed some ideas that may help further both your productivity and help the boredom of quarantine to come to a rest.

Gamboa and fellow VHS student Zoe Zanassi have gotten into baking during the lockdown. Zanassi says,“ It’s very fun being able to experiment and make new things.” 

For Gamboa, quarantine has sparked some inspiration. He has created a small business baking bread. Not only has it been productive, but Gamboa has been able to give back to the community through his efforts. One third of the profits for every sale goes to people in the community. Overall baking is a popular choice to take up time during quarantine, while others have chosen to spend their time watching Netflix.

Netflix has about 1,940 shows a few recommended would be shows like The Queen’s Gambit. Mrs. Kumler, a Vanden High School English teacher says, “The Queen’s Gambit is totally original.”

Another show that has recently come out that has a view rate of 63 million is Bridgerton, which is based on the book by Julia Quinn. The show follows one of the eight children of Viscount Bridgerton, Daphne, and her journey through her first courting season and its many conflicts. 

Although The Mandalorian is on Disney Plus, it also has a high view rate with 5.8 million.The story follows a lone traveler, known as the Mandalorian, and his adventures.The show is also part of the Star Wars universe established in the original film trilogy.

Some would rather read novels to pass the time, so here are some recommended by Mrs. Kumler: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Kindred by Octavia Butler and Educated by Tara Westover. Mrs. Kumler says each book is engaging, well written, and hard to put down. Each of these have empowered women as main characters and they triumph through the novels in unique ways. If short reads are preferred, the Scott Pilgrim series are “really vibrant and fun reads that don’t even take too long to finish,”says Gamboa.

Many people have suffered negative effects from the pandemic even if they haven’t contracted the virus. In fact,“COVID-19 has tripled the rate of depression in the US,”says CIDRAP Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy. People may look for advice to help get through this difficult time. 

Gamboa, Zannassi and Mrs. Kumler both had advice for navigating the negative impacts of this pandemic on people’s mental health. Zannassi suggests: “To do your best because your best is enough.”

“Keep everything in perspective, consider how you will look back at this time, 10 years from now,” says Mrs. Kumler. “This is not the rest of your life, it is only a part of your life.” Gamboa suggests finding passion and sticking to who you are. “Do what makes you love who you are, stick to whatever it is as long as it doesn’t hurt you,” he explains. “If that one thing doesn’t matter as much to others, screw them, because it means everything to you.”