Distance learning is having varying effects on Vanden High School Students

Vanden High School students have expressed that they are struggling with distance learning after starting the school year at home. Due to COVID-19 school closures, students have multiple concerns about their education and their school lives once they are allowed back to school.

Students are especially worried about transitioning back to school physically when the time comes because the phase and setting will be different again, since some students are now used to being alone, physically, in a room during their classes. Vanden Sophomore Miria Karr says, “I feel like I’m going to go back to being socially awkward like how I was during 9th grade when we return to school”.

Just as students are worried about the social aspect of school, some fear for their academics. Vanden Senior Alyanna Perez explains that she might end up doing poorly in her classes. She says, “Distance learning has been pretty easy and I already adjusted to having three classes a day”. Because of this, Perez “feels like [she is] going to have a hard time when [she] goes back to six to seven classes”.

On the other hand, students like Vanden Senior Eli Miranda are struggling with distance learning. He says, “I believe going to school is better because being in a school setting actually prompts me to do my work. It is very hard for me to stay focused at home”.

In an article found on brookings.edu titled the impact of COVID-19 on student achievement and what it may mean for educators; showcases data centering the education losses caused by distance learning. In the graphs, the research shows that students’ RIT test scores in reading and math have dropped since remote learning was implemented. 

Brookings.edu recognizes the causes of these declining scores may vary, all equally as important to consider. The reporters wrote, “…understanding these impacts and how best to support students’ social and emotional needs after the huge disruption of COVID-19 will be essential. Many students may face greater food insecurity, loss of family income, loss of family members to the coronavirus, and fear of catching the virus themselves”.